Uber & Lyft Accident Attorney in Orlando
Injured in a Rideshare Accident? Call (407) 269-5877
Rideshare services like Uber and Lyft offer incredible convenience to get from place to place, but they can cause incredible frustrations when a rideshare driver gets into or causes a car accident. Insurance companies – including your insurer, the rideshare driver’s insurer, and the insurer for Uber or Lyft – will often fight to avoid paying for damages. The end result is usually an injured rideshare passenger who is left wondering how much compensation they can get if any.
At Todd Miner Law, our Orlando Uber and Lyft accident lawyers know that car accident claims can be confusing for the average person but rideshare accident claims can be downright perplexing. When you choose us to represent you, we will be careful to keep you informed as your claim develops. It is our goal to make this unfortunate situation as stress-free for you as possible.
Fill out a free consultation form to tell us about your Uber or Lyft accident.
Who Pays for Uber or Lyft Accidents?
When driving for a rideshare service like Uber or Lyft, drivers should have two types of insurance: their own personal insurance and additional liability coverage provided by the rideshare company. Both of these insurance policies can work in conjunction to adequately cover passenger and motorist injuries in the event of a crash.
Uber divides its insurance coverage into three sections based on what the Uber driver is doing:
- Offline: When the Uber driver is not using the app or has marked themselves as offline and not looking for a fare, Uber provides no insurance coverage. The Uber driver’s personal insurance policy will be the primary or only source for damage coverage if there is an accident.
- Available: When the Uber driver is marked as available or is waiting for someone to hail a ride, Uber will provide third-party liability coverage if the Uber driver’s own insurance coverage does not apply. The Uber-provided coverage includes $50,000 in bodily injury per person, $100,000 in bodily injury per accident, and $25,000 in property damage per accident.
- En route or active: After an Uber driver accepts a fare and is either en route to pick up the passenger or already has them in their car, Uber provides the greatest amount of insurance coverage. In an accident, Uber will provide $1,000,000 third-party liability coverage that includes uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) bodily injury coverage and contingent comprehensive and collision coverage up to the actual cash value of a car minus a $1,000 deductible.
Lyft has a similar insurance policy provided to its rideshare drivers and passengers. The most noticeable difference is that there is a larger deductible for totaled vehicles.
Rideshare Drivers are Not Employees
Uber, Lyft, and other rideshare companies have fought in and out of court to ensure that the rideshare drivers who use their apps to make income are not classified as employees. Instead, they are classified as independent contractors. This difference in employment classifications makes it easier for Uber and Lyft to deny any liability for the harm caused by their drivers by sidestepping the legal rule of respondeat superior. This rule usually makes an employer liable for any negligence of their employees to a reasonable extent.
Common Causes of Uber & Lyft Accidents
Rideshare accidents are often caused by:
- Built-in distractions: Rideshare drivers are required to use a mobile phone app while working. This form of distraction cannot be avoided and that takes focus away from the road, significantly increasing the driver’s risk of getting into an accident.
- Inexperienced drivers: Uber and Lyft alike have been criticized for relaxed procedures when allowing rideshare drivers to use their apps. There are basically no checks in place to ensure that drivers are experienced and responsible. When hailing a ride from Uber or Lyft, a passenger could be putting their safety into the hands of an inexperienced driver.
- Reckless driving: To try to get as many fares as possible in a workday, some rideshare drivers can be tempted to speed, ignore traffic signals, and otherwise drive recklessly. Again, Uber and Lyft are notorious for doing next-to-nothing to monitor rideshare driver habits and penalize them for recklessness.
Contact Us for a Free Rideshare Accident Claim Consultation
If you have been injured in an Uber or Lyft accident that wasn’t your fault, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, pain and suffering, and other losses. Todd Miner Law and our Orlando rideshare accident attorneys are waiting to hear from you to see how we can help. With decades of experience, we are familiar with not only determining who can be held liable for an accident but also with negotiating with insurance companies for maximum compensation for our clients. Let us fight for you!
Learn more about your legal rights after an Uber or Lyft accident by dialing (407) 269-5877.
“After such a bad accident, you need someone to take your hand and show you what to do. Todd's office does that.”- Chase S.
“Todd and his team were very helpful and always took the time to talk to me when ever I had any questions.”- Chris G.
“I made the call to Todd Miner Law and it was the best call I have ever made! They truly care about their clients and they were very helpful.”- Melissa F.
Wheelchair Accident - Fall into 5-Foot Hole $4,500,000
Drunk Driving Fatality $4,300,000.00
Fatal Motorcycle Accident $1,400,000
Fatal Truck Accident $1,400,000
Head-On Collision - Two Surgeries $1,200,000.00
Delivery Truck Accident - Fractured Femur $1,100,000
Drunk Driving Accident - Serious Leg Injuries $1,000,000
Fatal Boating Accident $1,000,000
Negligent Security - Eye Injury $1,000,000.00
Dump Truck Accident - Neck Injuries $987,000
We handle the legal aspects of your case so you can focus on what’s most important - your recovery.
Todd Miner is a trusted advocate for residents in Orlando & the surrounding areas of Central Florida.
Experience on Your Side
Attorney Todd Miner is backed by over 25 years of experience on both sides of the courtroom & was an assistant state attorney and former insurance defense lawyer.
Strong Client Satisfaction
We are proud to be the go-to choice for injured clients in need of effective & results-driven representation.
Millions in Recoveries
Our legal team has extensive trial experience and a proven track record of success.
Invaluable Legal Insight
Todd Miner possesses an insider's perspective from years of working for the largest insurance company in America.