Orlando Birth Injury Lawyer
If your baby was injured at birth and you suspect that doctor negligence played a role, do not delay in contacting Todd Miner Law. With decades of combined legal experience handling a variety of personal injury cases, our Orlando birth injury attorneys know how to hold negligent doctors accountable for their failure to meet their duty of care.
Why Choose Our Firm?
- Hundreds of millions of dollars recovered for clients
- No attorney fees unless we win your case
- More than 50 years of combined legal experience
- Both lawyers have achieved AV®Preeminent™ ratings with Martindale-Hubbell®
For a free case evaluation, please contact our firm.
Types of Birth Injuries
Obstetrical doctors and nurses are trained to look for signs of fetal distress during labor and delivery, and to act quickly when they are identified in order to avoid injuring the baby and mother. Failure to identify and respond to these signs can result in a devastating and preventable birth injury with lifelong consequences. Similarly, improper use of birth-assisting tools such as vacuum extractors and forceps, or improper use of birth-assisting drugs like Pitocin, can also cause lasting harm to a baby. If you believe your child’s birth injury resulted from the error of a healthcare professional or hospital, you may have grounds for a medical malpractice claim.
Doctor negligence can result in the following preventable birth injuries:
- Cerebral palsy, resulting in permanent damage to movement, posture, and muscle tone
- Cephalohematoma, resulting in bleeding beneath an infant’s scalp
- Caput succedaneum, a swelling of the newborn’s scalp caused by prolonged pressure during birth
- Brachial plexus injuries, affecting the nerves of the shoulder, arm, and hand
- Brain injuries, resulting from a lack of oxygen to the baby
- Bone fractures, caused by excessive and overly-forceful pulling during delivery
- Fetal stroke, resulting from birth asphyxia
- Spinal cord injury, often resulting from a missed diagnosis of spina bifida
- Facial paralysis, in which excessive pressure damages a baby’s facial nerves
Birth injuries can result in lifelong physical and cognitive disability, which can have a huge impact on not just the victim, but their family as well. Expensive, ongoing medical treatment may be required throughout the child’s life. As the child grows, they may require caregivers and other resources to accommodate their special needs. Parents may have to give up their jobs in order to provide full-time care to the child. With so many financial burdens, it is important to take legal action to hold negligent doctors accountable for their error.
What Happens When a Baby Lacks Oxygen During Birth?
Oxygen deprivation, also known as asphyxiation or birth asphyxia, is one of the most common causes of birth injuries. Asphyxiation often leads to hypoxia or anoxia, two conditions involving reduced oxygen supply to organ tissues. Both hypoxia (insufficient oxygen supply, despite adequate blood flow) and anoxia (no oxygen supply, despite adequate blood flow) can result in serious complications, including brain damage. Put simply, when oxygen levels fall too low during the birthing process, infants can quickly suffer serious and sometimes lifelong birth injuries.
Some of the common causes of insufficient oxygen supply during birth include:
- Too little oxygen in the mother’s blood
- Early separation of the placenta
- Umbilical cord complications, such as the cord becoming wrapped around the baby’s neck
- Maternal infections, especially when they are not treated
- Blocked or malformed airways
- High or low maternal blood pressure
- Preeclampsia (high maternal blood pressure) and eclampsia
- Severe jaundice and/or kernicterus
- Physical damage to the infant during delivery
- Improper use of vacuum extractors/forceps
- Prolonged labor/failure to order a timely cesarean section (C-section)
Doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals are responsible for monitoring the health of the baby during the labor and delivery process. When they fail to do so, they can miss signs of fetal distress. Failure to react to and correct poor oxygen supply during birth can have devastating consequences for the child and his or her parents.
Some of the effects of poor oxygen supply to the infant during birth include:
- Brain damage
- Cerebral palsy
- Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE)
- Epilepsy and seizure disorders
- Behavioral disorders
- Learning disabilities and cognitive delays
A child who suffers birth asphyxia may struggle in reaching developmental milestones and could have difficulties caring for him/herself for the remainder of his or her life. Immediate treatment for resulting issues can be incredibly expensive, and the lifetime cost of caring for a child with serious physical or cognitive limitations can be exorbitant. You and your family should not have to simply put up with the immense burdens of a medical professional’s negligence on your own.
Request a Free Consultation
It is important that you take immediate action if you suspect you have a claim in order to protect your right to legal recourse. If you wait too long and the statute of limitations expires, you may be forever barred from bringing a claim.
Todd Miner Law stands ready to assist you during this difficult time. To speak with an Orlando lawyer about your potential case and your legal options, please call (407) 269-5877. Initial consultations are provided free of charge.
“After such a bad accident, you need someone to take your hand and show you what to do. Todd's office does that.”- Chase S.
“Todd and his team were very helpful and always took the time to talk to me when ever I had any questions.”- Chris G.
“I made the call to Todd Miner Law and it was the best call I have ever made! They truly care about their clients and they were very helpful.”- Melissa F.
Wheelchair Accident - Fall into 5-Foot Hole $4,500,000
Drunk Driving Fatality $4,300,000.00
Fatal Motorcycle Accident $1,400,000
Fatal Truck Accident $1,400,000
Head-On Collision - Two Surgeries $1,200,000.00
Delivery Truck Accident - Fractured Femur $1,100,000
Drunk Driving Accident - Serious Leg Injuries $1,000,000
Fatal Boating Accident $1,000,000
Negligent Security - Eye Injury $1,000,000.00
Dump Truck Accident - Neck Injuries $987,000
We handle the legal aspects of your case so you can focus on what’s most important - your recovery.
Todd Miner is a trusted advocate for residents in Orlando & the surrounding areas of Central Florida.
Experience on Your Side
Attorney Todd Miner is backed by over 25 years of experience on both sides of the courtroom & was an assistant state attorney and former insurance defense lawyer.
Strong Client Satisfaction
We are proud to be the go-to choice for injured clients in need of effective & results-driven representation.
Millions in Recoveries
Our legal team has extensive trial experience and a proven track record of success.
Invaluable Legal Insight
Todd Miner possesses an insider's perspective from years of working for the largest insurance company in America.